Wanda M. Harper, CLU
“Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence.”
– Ted Key
Wanda joined the Gateway Team in 1984 and has spent her entire career with Gateway. With her extensive experience, attention to detail and knack for number‐crunching, Wanda fulfills multiple roles at our Firm ‐ serving as a policy‐performance analyst, bookkeeper and human resources point of contact. Her responsibilities include:
- Checking newly‐issued policies to ensure that they are issued with correct names, ages, underwriting class, product, ownership / beneficiary designations and premium amounts. For Section 1035‐exchanged policies, Wanda checks carrier records to ensure that the basis of the exchanged policy is credited to the basis of the newly issued policy. Also, due to the impact that premium timing has on policy performance, she compares the timing of the actual cash value rollover with that assumed on the “as issued” policy illustration to ensure that it matches.
- Checking each Policy Documentation Package (PDP) for accuracy. A Policy Documentation Package is a bound package of information that is provided to clients and their advisors after a policy is issued. This package includes: 1) an overview of the purpose of the coverage; 2) an explanation of how the insurance product works; 3) “as issued” policy projections at various assumed cash value rates/dividend scales; 4) an explanatory summary of those projections; 5) a one‐page policy summary that lists the policy number, insurance carrier, insured, billing address, policy death benefit, premium, premium mode, premium payment window, policy owner, beneficiary, premium payor, policy date, etc.; 6) the policy itself; 7) copies of agreements pertaining to the policy (e.g. a trust agreement, premium financing materials, etc.); and, 8) a carrier financial rating report.
- Preparing Policy Benchmark Reports for in‐force policies every one to three policy years. These reports summarize the policy’s ownership and product structure, track premium payments, identify changes in post‐issue pricing elements, illustrate policy performance going forward based on several alternative cash value rate/dividend scale assumption scenarios, report on any changes in the carrier’s financial ratings, and provide financial models and illustrations of recommended changes.
- Drafting gift‐tax disclosure reminder letters which are sent in March of each year to clients and their gift‐tax‐return preparers who have insurance owned by irrevocable trusts and family limited partnerships. These reports provide premium histories and remind the client of the potential gift‐tax exposure that the premiums may cause.
- Overseeing accounts payable and accounts receivable, maintaining financial records and verifying the accuracy of procedures used for recording financial transactions.
- Managing all aspects of the payroll process and the Firm’s employee benefit plans.
Wanda resides in Bethel Park, PA. She enjoys spending time with her friends and family as well as a wide range of physical activities ‐ including working out at the gym, walking, bicycling, and zip lining. She is an avid reader and music lover, enjoying many different genres in each, from thriller novels to comedic fiction and from classic rock to modern pop. Fun facts: Wanda loves roller coasters and amusement parks and has a goal to visit as many National Parks as possible.
Education & Affiliations:
- Penn State University, various courses
- Bradford School of Business, Associates Degree with a concentration in Office Administration
- The American College at Bryn Mawr, Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) designation
- Neurofibromatosis Clinics Association (NFCA) ‐ Pittsburgh Chapter, President of Board of Director