Laurel A. Kentzel-Kavic
Managerial Accountant / Financial Analyst
“No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be.” – Isaac Asimov
Laurel joined the Gateway Team in 2017. With extensive previous experience in the life settlement industry and a strong background in accounting, operations and project management, Laurel’s role at Gateway is multi-faceted. She oversees Gateway’s accounting systems and financial reporting, serves as the Firm’s Information Security Officer and establishes and maintains the cloud-based virtual data rooms and portals for Gateway’s business partners. In these roles, Laurel:
- Identifies, measures, analyzes and interprets the firm’s financial information to assist senior management in preparing budgets, making capital expenditure decisions and achieving organizational efficiencies.
- Evaluates Gateway’s security standards to achieve compliance within the current regulatory landscape, while preserving the firm’s ability to efficiently conduct daily business operations.
- Maintains Gateway’s information security program to (1) ensure the security and confidentiality of client information, (2) protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of client information, and (3) protect against unauthorized access to or use of the information that could result in substantial harm or inconvenience to our clients.
Laurel also assists with case design and client policy service as needed. In this role, she:
- Compares performance of the various life insurance products in the marketplace on a risk-neutral and objective basis to identify the most competitive products available based on the client’s preliminary underwriting offers, risk tolerance and funding objectives.
- Updates Gateway’s internal data base with client and policy information and calendars policy service events to ensure that client policies are monitored and serviced on a pro-active basis.
- Generates policy-service tracking reports and assists the Director of Client Services in providing post-issue, proactive policy service and policy performance benchmark reports to Gateway’s clients.
Laurel resides in the North Hills of Pittsburgh with her husband, David; children, Kalina and Nikola; and their maltipoo, Cocoa. Laurel and her family enjoy the outdoors and spending time along the Allegheny River. Fun facts: Laurel is one of five children and she and her siblings all have botanical names.
Education & Affiliations:
- University Pennsylvania State University, Bachelors of Science in Business, Accounting option
- National Notary Association, Member
- M Holdings Securities, Inc., Registered Representative ‐ FINRA Series 6 & 63 securities registrations
Laurel is a registered representative of M Holdings Securities, Inc.